Tuesday 4 December 2012

Duncan Gilmour Article in Beer Matters

Well... it has been a while. But as some of you may know beer articles have consistently been appearing in Beer Matters. The biggest one yet went in the November issue and provided a brief look at Duncan Gilmour, traces of which can be seen all around the city.

Feedback from that article is featured in the December/January issue and I was warned that history articles do provoke a response! Which should be expected if there are mistakes and there are bound to be when dealing with the past.

The trouble is that I did not do any original research as such, I merely summarised the data in David Lloyd Parry’s book South Yorkshire Stingo and added in some info from Mark Bone’s entry on The Tamara Valley website. This was sufficient enough to tell the overall story of Duncan Gilmour and in one place. However I am the first to concede much more work needs to be done to confirm the details. Of which there are a lot. And seeing as I work full time I am not really in a position to undertake a huge project like that. Because I could not stop there, I would have to chronicle the history of Wards and Stones too, and then all the breweries that they took over. I would try and find pictures of the pubs, map where they where located, collate anecdotal evidence and check business accounts.

So one day, in about 35 years, when I am retired then perhaps I will do that! It is something that will certainly hold my interest for a long time as local history fascinates me.

The Duncan Gilmour piece is not on this blog as Blogger is extremely inflexible when it comes to imbedding pictures. I tried but anger was the only result. So it is on the Face Book page along with some more pictures of ex Gilmour Windsor pubs. The historic photos are not included as Picture Sheffield own the copyright and despite me checking that Beer Matters was ok to publish them, I still managed to email the article to Sheffield CAMRA with the wrong reference on. Oops.

But either way I think I will be drawn to write a piece on the history of Wards and Stones (separately) sometime next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment